Food Systems Upcoming Events
- This event has passed.
6/18 Webinar: BIPOC Producers—Sowing the Seeds of Liberation
June 18, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
As people across the country, and the world, are rising up to join the call for radical solutions that divest from systems rooted in white supremacy, we’re reminded that the transformation of our food and farm system too depends on radical solutions and leadership from Black and Indigenous and People of color (BIPOC).
US agriculture’s roots in colonization and enslavement mean that Black and Indigenous and communities of color still have limited access to capital, financial support, and markets—this is changing, slowly but surely, thanks to the work of food and farm organizations, leaders and communities that are dismantling racism and white supremacy, and imagining alternate ways to be in relationship with land, nature and each other.
Join us to hear from some of these leaders and HEAL members in our upcoming webinar titled: BIPOC Producers-Sowing the Seeds of Liberation
What: A discussion based on the second plank of HEAL’s Platform for Real Food, Opportunity for all Producers. The webinar will address:
· How the legacy of colonization and enslavement has shaped the US food and farm system today
· Challenges and opportunities faced by farmers and fishers who are Black, Indigenous and People of color (BIPOC).
· Ways to support BIPOC transforming our food and farm system
· Victoria Quevedo, La Semilla Food Center
· Niaz Dorry, Northwest Atlantic Marine Alliance
· Sonia Galiber, Soil Generation
· Roberto Nutlouis, Black Mesa Water Coalition
· Ricardo Salvador, Union of Concerned Scientists
When: Thursday, June 18th at 1pm EST / 12pm CT / 11amMT / 10am PT